You can get leaf blowers that come in various power options. Either cordless leaf blowers can make light work of keeping dead leaves in some sort of order in your garden.
It can be a hard choice because some have advantages over others. If you are in the mood for a leaf blower, then you can go through our battery-operated leaf blower options to help narrow your purchase decisions.
By the end, you know which are the best leaf blowers out there and which are the best battery-powered leaf blowers any gardener should be choosing.
Why You Need a Good Battery Powered Backpack Blower
Battery and Gas-powered leaf blowers have pros and cons, yet, the average homeowner may find a battery-powered option is a way to go. (Find the best yard trimmer for you)
Gas-powered leaf blowers do offer more power as it is more powerful than battery. There is a cost for power.
- Why You Need a Good Battery Powered Backpack Blower
- Top Battery Powered Backpack Blower Reviews
- 1. Greenworks 80V 145MPH – 580CFM Cordless Backpack Leaf Blower, 2.5Ah Battery, and Charger Included BPB80L2510
- 2. Troy-Bilt TB4BP EC 32cc 4-Cycle Backpack Blower with JumpStart Technology
- 3. DEWALT DCBL590X1 40V Max Lithium-Ion Backpack Blower
- 4. Ryobi RY40440 40 Volt 145 MPH 625 CFM Cordless Brushless Variable Speed Backpack Leaf Blower with Lithium-Ion Battery and Charge Kit
- 5. Makita EB7660TH 75.6 cc MM4 Engine Tube Throttle 4-Stroke Backpack Blower
- Battery Powered Backpack Blower Buying guide
- Final Verdict
Gas-powered blowers need maintenance, and to top this, in some models, you need to mixing oil and fuel in the right amounts. Some engines also start slow when cold.
Battery-powered leaf blowers are easier to use. It just needs plugging into the mains and hit the start button. Battery-powered are quieter, cleaner, and lighter.
Top Battery Powered Backpack Blower ReviewsCheck Latest Price
1. Greenworks 80V 145MPH – 580CFM Cordless Backpack Leaf Blower, 2.5Ah Battery, and Charger Included BPB80L2510
A lightweight hand-held blower model starts to feel cumbersome when you’ve been blowing leaves for a little while. You can find relief with the 80V Backpack Leaf Blower model from Greenworks. It makes things far easier by relieving pressure on your arms.
There is no shortage of power as the blower makes full use of the 80V Greenworks batteries. It comes with a 2.5Ah battery power source and charger. Hit the turbo button, and you quickly feel the difference.
The blower weighs a little under 15 pounds in weight, including the attached battery, and to even pressure; there are thick padded shoulder straps which also help reduce discomfort and risk of shoulder pains. (Read our Greenworks 25022 Lawn Mower Review)
This blower model produces wind speeds of up to 145 mph, which amounts to 580 CFM. You also have a variable speed trigger and cruise control feature to extend run time and battery life.
- Very easy to use and quiet
- Fast charge speed batteries
- Long-lasting warranty 4-year tool and 2-year battery
- Variable speed trigger for saving power and getting the job done
- The battery may need changing for extended runs over 30 minutes
- Blower doesn’t show the same wear as the batteries
With a guide price of just under $500, you have a cordless leaf blower model that can blow anything it comes across. You can cut your garden clear-up times in half without strain from carrying one of the best cordless leaf blowers in the Greenworks battery-powered blower.Check Latest Price
2. Troy-Bilt TB4BP EC 32cc 4-Cycle Backpack Blower with JumpStart Technology
The Troy-Bilt 4-Cycle backpack blower model comprises the best gas-powered blowers with compact design and size for suburban homes.
The mph and cfm are equally as high as most competition, at 150 mph and 500 cfm. It is highly maneuverable, and the blowpipe is ideal for tight spaces.
You can use the power to deal with powdery snow if it’s fresh though that may be its limit.
The Troy-Built Blower model product uses the included Coolflex back technology, so cool air circulates your back for more comfort. It comes with a 2-year warranty for peace of mind.
- High powered engine
- Excellent maneuverability and control
- Gas-powered offers longer run times
- Quieter than other gas-powered leaf blower product options
- Requires fuel mixing
- Backstraps have been reported as breaking on this product
Coming in with a guide price of around $250, it is a decent blower, yet you need to mix oil and fuel when you gas up. Besides this, it is high-performing yet not as quiet and clean as a battery-powered blower.Check Latest Price
3. DEWALT DCBL590X1 40V Max Lithium-Ion Backpack Blower
At the very top of the electric range of cordless leaf blowers products sits the DeWalt 40V Max. It comes with a standard warranty of 3 years.
Being a part of the 40 Volt electric tool products lineup, you can use the same available battery to power multiple electric power tools products.
Although the 40V battery is half as powerful as the top products on the list, it can still deliver 450 cfm and 145 mph for heavy yard work.
While enough for most tasks, you may find you lose power when you don’t expect it. You can, however, add a second battery for those extended runs. This can add a few pounds to the load you get sitting on your back.
While powerful, it is quiet and produces 63 dB. Although you will need to check your area to be sure it is quite enough.
- Quiet in operation
- Comes with two battery wells to add a second battery
- Uses batteries from any DeWalt power tools
- No fast charging
- Could need a second charger if using two batteries regularly
With a guide purchase price of just over $950, it is a lot of money, yet you will have many years of great service. However, when you compare features that add benefit, not many works aside from a second battery.Check Latest Price
4. Ryobi RY40440 40 Volt 145 MPH 625 CFM Cordless Brushless Variable Speed Backpack Leaf Blower with Lithium-Ion Battery and Charge Kit
Ryobi has a good machine to deliver a wide symmetrical air pattern.
That shape and volume aid the leaf moving efficiency. On a full charge, you do only get a run time of 47 minutes. However, at this time, you can move a serious amount of leaves with the 625 CFM. Even with this, it still only produces 59DB.
It is quiet, and to top this, it is very comfortable. The shoulder straps are adjustable to fit large or smaller than average gardeners.
Unfortunately, the cruise-control lever is not that easy to maneuver, and for tall people, the tube becomes too short for effective use.
- Uses a brushless motor
- Comes with cruise control
- 5 year (limited) warranty
- Blower hose short for tall people
- Short battery life
With a rough price of just over $280, it is affordable, and if you have light use, it could be ideal. Its power does compare, yet the run time is far less than expected.Check Latest Price
5. Makita EB7660TH 75.6 cc MM4 Engine Tube Throttle 4-Stroke Backpack Blower
Makita is no stranger to power tools, and the 4-Stroke Backpack Blower is no different. If you have a large area, you may need the power from the 75.6 cc engine to deal with this.
This commercial quality power unit has power settings and is built for long-term use and high-performance use in any setting. While the 4-stroke engine, it burns fuel efficiently and is quieter than the 2-stroke models.
Also, you don’t need to mix your gas. For power, you have 206 mph winds at 706 cfm, and it is easy to see why it is one of the most powerful leaf blowers.
You have lots of comforts to carry the extra weight of a gas engine, though you may need to check local codes as it delivers 76 dB
- High power and easy start engine
- Comes with vibration reduction
- Ventilated weight distribution harness
- No fuel mixing required
- Gas motor and not a battery, maybe too loud
With a rough price of $600, you may think this price is too much for your yard. It may be as this is more a blower than can extend run time when you compare products. However, it is gas and not the battery.
Battery Powered Backpack Blower Buying guide
When you want a leaf blower, there are things to consider. Here’s a quick buying guide of things you may need to know. (Read Straight vs. Curved Trimmer Explanation)
Battery power is essential for a large yard. How long a battery lasts depends on how much juice you use. Obviously, the more electricity you need, the faster it drains.
If you have a huge yard or need to use your leaf blower for longer periods of time, select one with a bigger battery capacity so you don’t have to think about recharging as much.
CFM or MPH for Leaf Blower
- CFM = Cubic Feet per Minute, which measures the volume of air the blower can move.
- MPH = Miles per Hour is how fast the air leaves the end of the blower.
These are different, yet the higher they are, the better the power.
- Under 200 CFMs isn’t a powerful blower and most used to clean patios, driveways, workshops, etc.
- 200 – 350 CFMs are a bit stronger and can clear leaves from small yards, sidewalks, and patios.
- 350 – 450 CFMs are more powerful and are more suited to medium-sized gardens
- 450 CFMs are at the top of the range and can easily deal with large amounts of debris and leaves in a large garden.
Battery-powered leaf blowers should be easy to maneuver. This makes them a good choice for anyone who can’t lift heavy pieces of equipment.
Adjustable Speed Settings
Adjustable speeds give more control over the rate your battery runs out. The slower the speed, the longer your battery lasts.
You may live in a neighborhood that has noise limits. The lower the number of decibels, the better.
Battery and Charger
Most leaf blowers come with a battery and a charger. Check they do, or you can use a battery from another tool in the line.
Without a doubt, the clear winner was the Greenworks 80 Volt 145MPH – 580CFM Cordless Backpack Leaf Blower, 2.5Ah Battery, and Charger Included BPB80L2510.
The MPH didn’t rise above the competition, yet the battery was a powerhouse in comparison, and the CFM came second to a gas machine.
Also, it was the most comfortable to wear and could clear a yard much faster than others in the reviews.
The battery and tool warranty was a welcome change to just a standard company warranty to solidify the lead.
It was also far less than the nearest tool available of equal performance. The Greenworks is the best backpack garden blower you can get that delivers speed, back comfort, and the best run time in minutes. (Find the Best Cordless Lawn Mower)