There are a lot of different options out there when it comes to fertilizing your grass.
If you want something quick, inexpensive, and simple to use, liquid lawn fertilizer is the best solution to your lawn care needs.
For longer periods of healthy growth, the best liquid lawn fertilizers provide your lawn with all it requires to grow greener and fuller and to remain healthy.
While it can appear daunting, we have here some of the best liquid lawn fertilizers to help you narrow down your buying decision.
- Why You Need a Good Liquid Lawn Fertilizer
- Top Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Reviews
- 1. Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK – Lawn Food Quality Liquid Fertilizer – Spring & Summer Concentrated Spray – Any Grass Type – Simple Lawn Solutions
- 2. Simple Lawn Solutions Extreme Grass Growth Lawn Booster- Quality Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Spray Concentrated Fertilizer with Fulvic & Humic Acid- Any Grass Type
- 3. Superior Nitrogen & Potash 15-0-15 NPK- Lawn Food Quality Liquid Fertilizer – Concentrated Spray- Any Grass Type- Simple Lawn Solutions Green, Grow, Health & Strength- Phosphorus-Free
- 4. LawnStar Chelated Liquid Iron (32 OZ) for Plants – Multi-Purpose, Suitable for Lawn, Flowers, Shrubs, Trees – Treats Iron Deficiency, Root Damage & Color Distortion – EDTA-Free, American Made
- 5. Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass Ready-Spray
- Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Buying guide
- Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Final Verdict
Why You Need a Good Liquid Lawn Fertilizer
When you need fertilizer for your lawn, there are several reasons to select liquid fertilizers for lawns over granular alternatives. Here’s why you need good liquid fertilizer.
Since grass liquid fertilizer is often concentrated, a small bottle delivers extensive coverage. It saves money and is easier to use than granular fertilizer.
Another advantage is you can adjust this for your lawns needs. Each liquid lawn fertilizer concentrate for grass is different. Many have a higher starting application with lower applications through the growing season.
Ease of Use
Most lawn fertilizers fasten direct to your best garden hose for ease of use. Liquid lawn fertilizers deliver even coverage you can’t get from granular lawn fertilizer when you fertilize your lawn. (Find the Best Fertilizer For St Augustine Grass)
Liquid fertilizers deliver nutrients to roots and surface grass. They will be rapidly absorbed, unlike granular fertilizer that won’t soak into leaves and only enters the soil.
As fertilizer liquid is mixed with water, you save time with your lawn care by feeding and watering your lawn at the same time.
Top Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Reviews
1. Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK – Lawn Food Quality Liquid Fertilizer – Spring & Summer Concentrated Spray – Any Grass Type – Simple Lawn Solutions
This Simple Lawn Solutions fertilizer offers a balanced blend of organic macronutrients a lawn needs in the spring and summer. It comprises nitrogen, phosphate, and potash and seaweed extract for maximum health and growth.
A noteworthy feature with this liquid fertilizer is it contains short and slow-release nitrogen. It helps with fast growth and increases root strength to reduce stress in your lawn.
This fertilizer can be ideal for other warm-season grasses like Bermuda, Florida Palmetto, Fescue, and Kentucky Bluegrass.
The fertilizer comes in an easy-to-apply formula, and the bottle has a garden hose attachment right on top, so it is ready to use, and no special sprayers or spreaders are needed.
- Easy to use – spray attachment on the bottle
- Concentrated formula
- Manufacturers have 25 years of experience
- Great value
- The nozzle is not overly efficient
- You can spray less than the advertised amount
With a guide price of just over $24, this Simple Lawn Solutions Fertilizer is ultra-concentrated and ideal for giving your lawn the best natural ingredients. The concentrated 32 oz. formula covers 3,200 square feet of lawn.
2. Simple Lawn Solutions Extreme Grass Growth Lawn Booster- Quality Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Spray Concentrated Fertilizer with Fulvic & Humic Acid- Any Grass Type
If you’re looking for something natural and non-toxic, the extreme grass growth blend is another Simple Lawn Solutions. It’s perfect for growing lawns thicker or speeding up growth.
This fertilizer is perfect for Buffalo, Palmetto, Zoysia, and Bluegrass, and can be sued on established lawns as well as newly sown sod.
The liquid fertilizer can enhance reactions of your lawn and soil minerals to help prevent mineral deficiencies. The NPK ratio of 6-19-0 provides nitrogen, phosphorous and some humic and fulvic acid to your lawn.
It doesn’t contain harsh chemicals, is made in the USA using natural, food-grade ingredients.
- Delivers great results fast
- Comes in ready to use 32 oz. bottle
- No need to dilute
- Use on new or established lawns
- There are reports of sprayer issues
- It can cover less than the 3,200-area quoted
With a rough price of just over $23, it is a great addition to any lawn. While there are bottle issues, it doesn’t affect the benefits it offers your lawn.
3. Superior Nitrogen & Potash 15-0-15 NPK- Lawn Food Quality Liquid Fertilizer – Concentrated Spray- Any Grass Type- Simple Lawn Solutions Green, Grow, Health & Strength- Phosphorus-Free
Here you can find another recommendation from organic Simple Lawn Solutions. This is a great pick if your lawn shows potassium or nitrogen deficiencies such as yellow or brown spots and patchy growth.
The formulation makes grass grow faster, dark green, and much stronger. It contains extra humic/ fulvic acid to aid in transport through your grass to deliver better performance. It can also aid in your lawns ability to withstand heat and cold or sub-par sandy soils.
One 32-ounce bottle covers 3,200 square feet and can be used on any type of grass such as bluegrass and palmetto. It contains no harsh chemicals and is packed with organic compounds which won’t stress your lawn. It is also pet and child safe.
To use just connects your bottle to the hose and you can water and feed your warm-season grass in one go.
- Great for treating deficiencies
- Made in the USA
- Intensifies healthy green growth
- Works with many warm-season grass varieties
- Contains no phosphate
- Problems with trigger dosing
With a guide price of just under $25, this is a great solution to help your grass achieve the best nutrient transfer and deliver lots of green and strong growth.
4. LawnStar Chelated Liquid Iron (32 OZ) for Plants – Multi-Purpose, Suitable for Lawn, Flowers, Shrubs, Trees – Treats Iron Deficiency, Root Damage & Color Distortion – EDTA-Free, American Made
Here’s a great LawnStar liquid fertilizer, the flexible formula is suitable to work with your lawn, shrubs, trees and flowers.
It differs as it is targeted at a particular use and doesn’t contain nitrogen, potassium or phosphorus. It does, however, deliver chelated liquid iron into your grass and soil.
Iron deficiency is the most common cause of yellowing, early dormancy, and grass not surviving. Here, the chelated iron regenerates your lawn by increasing metabolism and chlorophyll production.
Besides, the fertilizer improves root production for long-term development and increases resistance to huge temperature fluctuations. It’s sugar-based, and far safer to use than other chelated alternatives.
Fertilizer coverage is hard to determine as it is based on concentration. You do get detailed instructions on the 32-ounce bottle. All you need to do is dilute and add to a sprayer.
- Effective for treating deficiencies
- Can be used on flower, trees and shrubs
- Money-back guarantee
- Not a general liquid fertilizer
- Bottle instructions can be hard to read
With a guide of just below $20, you have an effective solution for treating certain deficiencies. It isn’t a complete liquid fertilizer so that you would need this also. One unique thing is the LawnStar money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied after 30 days, you’ll get a no-questioned refund.
5. Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass Ready-Spray
A perfect alternative for new lawns is Scott’s fertilizer. It’s convenient for fast-growing new thick grass lawns and works with grass plugs as well as sod. Scott’s claim the f fertilizer produces new grass 70% faster than untreated areas.
You can also use this fertilizer when reseeding, installing turf, or treating any bald areas around your yard.
The 32-ounce bottle can cover up to 1,800 square feet. You will find it easy to use and just snap your hose connector to the bottle and spray and feed your lawn.
The first application takes place after sprouting of your grass seeds, and to obtain the best results, and spray the following week, and again another week later.
- Very easy to use
- Highly effective
- Can improve seeding success
- Safe for all types of grass
- Not as effective as some solutions
- Grass needs to be cut short for best results
With a guide price of less than $15, it is very affordable to help enhance your lawn growth. It is effective and easy to use, yet there are solutions you can find that offer more benefits.
Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Buying guide
When fertilizing your lawn and purchasing any liquid fertilizer, it is better to know what they do and how they work before you commit.
You can find detailed instructions on bottles, yet here’s a few things to remember.
If you are only applying fertilizer once a year, be sure to apply it close to Labor Day. Your lawn will need it most at this period, and they will absorb the nutrients. It will also build up buffers in the soil of the cold fall and winter.
When you need to apply fertilizers twice per year, add your second application in October to offer the lawn some food for winter. (Learn When to Winterize Lawn)
It is possible to make a third application in early spring as well as a possible fourth in mid-summer. If applying fertilizer throughout the year, it’s best to add just the right amount and a smaller dose during the spring unless there are signs of slow green growth and possible discoloration.
Be careful when you need to apply liquid lawn fertilizer if it is hot and humid as it can damage your lawn.
One crucial thing is the time of day to apply fertilizer, and you will have to avoid the hottest part of the day.
Finally, also fertilize when your ground is moist as it can help the fertilizer absorb quicker and it won’t burn or damage your grass as compared to dry soil. This is more the case with slow-release types rather than liquid fertilizers.
This will dictate the type of fertilizer and how much fertilizer you need to use.
One thing you do need is to test your soil, this can determine the pH, the nutrients you have, and you can then determine what your plants need. The best way to test soil is to purchase a home test kit; these are a great choice as you can do this and find out the answers in minutes.
Liquid Lawn Fertilizer Final Verdict
All of the fertilizers here are in liquid form; this makes them all easy to use compared to granular grass types of fertilizer. However, the best on offer here was a clear winner through reputation and benefits the fertilizer offers.
The Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK – Lawn Food Quality Liquid Fertilizer – Spring & Summer Concentrated Spray – Any Grass Type – Simple Lawn Solutions offers a broad range of compounds in the high-quality organic liquid. The organic liquid provide a means of giving the best root-growth to your plants whilst you water your lawn.
It was easy to use, and the coverage is more extensive than many others while delivering the right amount of nutrients.
The easy apply liquid will make sure your grass is green and healthy. It delivers all the right nutrients as you apply the fertilizers right from the bottle. It is quite easily the best liquid fertilizer for grass.
Read more: When To Cut Grass After Overseeding