It can be great to have a pool for a few reasons. You can lounge around after a hard day’s work, or they can be a fun way to stay fit.
However, there is a need for continual cleaning, so your pool remains in the best conditions. It can be easy to gather up debris here and there, yet underwater things are different.
To clean your pool can be made easier using one of the new robotic cleaners. Now, you can relax while the machine goes about its business. (Read Best Solar Pool Covers)
To help, we have reviews of the best pool cleaners of 2020 for you to choose from. By the end, you will find the easiest way to remove dirt and debris from the walls and floor of your pool.
Why You Need a Good Robotic Pool Cleaner
When it comes to swimming pool cleaning, there are a couple of options to get the job done.
Robotic pool cleaners take a large investment, yet the savings they make over time are worth it for most keen swimmers.
Here’s a few reasons you need one:
- You don’t have much spare time. When working full time with a family, it is better to be in the pool on your days off rather than having to clean it.
- You are unable to clean your pool. Swimming is good exercise, and cleaning can give you a workout. However, not everyone can cope with grasping and scrubbing. It can be a challenge for anyone with a bad back or any physical limitations.
- You need a healthy pool. The best robotic cleaner will have just the right scrubbing and filtering power for removing stuff you cannot see with an ordinary vacuum pool cleaner. The ones with intelligent navigation ensure every section of your pool is cleaned.
- You wish to extend the life of your pool pump. Several pool cleaners use the pool pumps power, which places additional strain on them. Robotic Cleaners use their power source and filters, which extends your pool filtration system life.
- The environment. Clean pools require fewer chemicals, and cleaning robots are also very energy efficient.
Top Robotic Pool Cleaners Reviews
1. Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner with Easy to Clean Large Top Load Filter Cartridges and Tangle-Free Swivel Cord, Ideal for In-ground Swimming Pools up to 50 Feet.
The Nautilus CC Plus robotic pool cleaner Dolphin has here is a highly-efficient in-ground pool cleaner. It can cope with rectangular, square, and even round in-ground pools. Besides this, it easily copes with pools up to 50 ft.
Its dimensions are 16”x10”x16”, and weighs 19 lbs. There is a 2.5-year warranty, so there are no worries if anything should go wrong.
In performance, walls and floors are cleaned perfectly. Build quality is second to none and made from durable plastic. You’ll also find the Nautilus CC Plus easy to operate as it doesn’t require a hose, and you can use any standard outlet.
The cleaners scan the pool rather than random cleaning so that every inch will be spotless.
- Easy fully automatic operation
- Good warranty
- Works on both floor and walls
- Efficient anti-tangle swivel and dual brush system
- Power supply not waterproof
- Power cord short for full-length pools
With a guide price of $850, you’ll find the Nautilus one of the best cleaners on the market. It’s as close as you can get to a set it and forget it machine.
It has two sets of filters, which you can change depending on the cleaning you need. The Nautilus sits right at the top of the list of best robotic pool cleaners sitting under the Dolphin Triton PS pool floor.
2. Dolphin Nautilus CC Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner with Large Capacity Top Load Filter Basket Ideal for Swimming Pools up to 33 Feet
The Dolphin Nautilus CC automatic robotic pool cleaner is easy-to-use, lightweight, with a single-button operation. It can cope with pools up to 33 ft and weights 13 lbs.
Like other Dolphin pool robot cleaner models, you have three cleaning settings, and it can deal with large or small debris. The robot pool cleaners come with a single-stage filter basket for ease of emptying. The pool cleaner takes less time and can clean up to its limit in 2 hours while being energy efficient.
- A weekly timer to make sure of cleaning every day, every other day, or every 3rd day
- Doesn’t use a pool pump for power
- Good warranty
- Collects large and fine debris
- Not the best wall cleaning
- Requires additional filter for ultra-fine cleaning
With a guide price of just over $650, it is an entry-level robot cleaner that delivers much more than you’d expect in this price range. If you have never used a pool cleaner, this is a great introduction to keep inground pools as clean as possible while on a budget.
3. Polaris F9450 Sport Robotic In-Ground Swimming Pool Cleaner Vacuum 4-Wheel Drive
The Polaris F9450 is an efficient four-wheel-drive robotic pool cleaner. The vacuum is around four times as effective compared to other similar models. The Polaris can deal with both pool floors and walls, so there are no manual touch-ups you need to carry out.
What is unique is it is a waterline-only mode, so it is driven along the waterline. The F9450 is programmable, and you can set a seven-day cycle. As standard, it doesn’t deal with fine dirt though you can purchase an extra-fine filter.
- Efficient cleaning up to 50 ft
- Easily scrubs walls and floors
- Seven-day programmable cycle
- Waterline-only mode with suction side
- Not great for fine dirt without an additional filter
With a guide price of $670, you get an efficient pressure side pool cleaner that offers features not found on other models. It is also backed up with a 2-year limited warranty.
While the robot pool cleaner is heavy at 45 lbs., this isn’t an issue once it’s inside the water. This extra weight adds to the vortex vacuum to help it stick to the floor as it cleans.
4. Dolphin Premier Robotic Pool Cleaner with Powerful Dual Scrubbing Brushes and Multiple Filter Options, Ideal for In-ground Swimming Pools up to 50 Feet
The Dolphin Premier is one of the best pool cleaner models on the market. It makes light work of cleaning pool floors and can easily scale walls to carry out waterline cleaning. The smart technology tracks where have been cleaned maximize pool cleanliness.
There are cleaning accessories, such as an extra-large leaf bag, a standard cartridge for a quick pool clean, and a micro-filter for the utmost in cleanliness.
The Premier comes with smart control and a weekly timer. There is the tangle-free swivel.
- Multiple filter bag options
- Multiple cleaning functions and durable scrubbing brushes
- Smart Remote Control
- 3-year guarantee
- Cleans slower than some models at 3 hours
With a guide price of a little over $1,100, this premier pool rover hybrid robotic pool cleaner is at the very top end of a budget like a Kreepy Krauly Prowler. However, it is nearly the best pool cleaner you can find, even if it takes a little longer to carry out a thorough cleanup of your 50 ft pool.
No products found.
No products found.
5. Solar Breeze – Automatic Pool Cleaner NX2 Cleaning Robot
The Solar Breeze-Automatic Pool Cleaner is unlike the others in these robotic pool cleaner reviews. It is a surface skimmer and doesn’t deal with underwater cleaning. However, it does remove 95% of surface debris including leaves, dust, bacteria, pollen, and any other kind of dirt.
The great thing is that it is solar-powered, with a maximum run time of 23.5 hours.
It is fully autonomous, so it navigates pool corners as it filters your water to leave it fresh and clean.
You can add two 3” trichlor tablets that disperse as the cleaners scour your pool. It also has double the collection capacity of regular wall skimmer baskets.
- Solar-powered so no running costs
- Removes up to 95% of the debris
- Autonomous for tight spaces
- Large debris collection basket capacity
- Quite expensive for surface cleaning
- Debris can occasionally spill
With a guide price of just under $630, it is a hefty price for a surface pool cleaning, compared to the Aquabot Pool Rover Hybrid cleaner, or almost a Sharkvac robotic pool cleaner.
However, you should never need to worry about running costs for the surface robotic pool vacuum.
Robotic Pool Cleaners Buying Guide
Things to know when buying a pool cleaner.
Suction-Side Pool Cleaner
Suction-side pool cleaners use a suction line attached to a pool skimmer or dedicated vacuum.
Pressure-Side Pool Cleaner
These connect to dedicated return lines and use water pressure to drive them. (Read Best Pressure Washers)
Robotic Pool Cleaner
Robotic cleaners run on electricity. They are smarter and know where they have cleaned. Some models, called “waterline” robotic cleaners, rise out of the water to clean water line buildup.
For efficient operation, your pool cleaners need a tangle-free swivel.
You will need a cleaner that deals with large debris as easily as it can deal with small particles.
The pool size can dictate which cleaner you go for.
Some have shorter cables than others and may not be suitable. The power cord length can be as essential as some of the other features on your cleaner.
Having a robotic pool cleaner is a great convenience, with automatic settings. You can program these to carry out the cleaning rather than you remembering when to start them.
When you look at the best above ground pool robotic cleaner, there is a huge difference. For example, the Pool Rover S2 40 is much cheaper than the current winner, yet it doesn’t compare features.
A rover junior or Aquabot x4 robotic above ground pool cleaning machine won’t be under as much water.
We found in the most tests the Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner with Easy to Clean Large Top Load Filter Cartridges, and Tangle-Free Swivel Cord, Ideal for In-ground Swimming Pools up to 50 Feet was a clear winner.
It coped with the largest pools, and it cleaned faster than more expensive models. It did all this without any intervention and was energy efficient while doing so.
There isn’t any pool cleaning robot for all types of cleaning in-ground pools that does a job anywhere near as good for the money.
Read more: Best Bluetooth Outdoor Speakers