Screwdrivers are basic hand tools that drive screws into surfaces to connect materials or remove screws in the opposite direction with a few powerful twists.
Screwdrivers are not a one-size-fits-all tool as every job requires a certain screwdriver. If you only have a couple of screwdrivers, you could find yourself out of luck when building your new bookcase or toddler’s dollhouse.
Because of this, the best screwdriver sets are handy to have as you can use them for anything from tightening handles, assembling Ikea furniture, and much more right down to prying open a can of paint.
A good-quality screwdriver set comes with all the screw heads you could need to perform any repairs or home improvement jobs you have. (Read Wrench Sizes Chart)
In our screwdriver comparison reviews, you can learn the most durable screwdrivers and the best screwdrivers for the money. By the end, you’ll have a better understanding of quality screwdrivers and which best screwdriver sets meet your needs.
- Why You Need Good Screwdrivers
- Screwdriver Use
- Top Screwdrivers Reviews
- 1. DEWALT Screwdriver Bit Set with Tough Case, 45-Piece
- 2. XOOL 80 in 1 Precision Screwdriver Set with Magnetic Driver Kit Professional Electronics Repair Tool Kit
- 3. CRAFTSMAN Screwdriver Set, Assorted, 12-Piece
- 4. GEARWRENCH 20 Pc. Phillips/Slotted/Torx Screwdriver Set, Dual Material Handles
- 5. VESSEL BALL GRIP 1/4″ Hex. Bit Interchangeable Screwdriver
- Best Screwdrivers Buying guide
- Screwdriver Head Type
- Specialized Tips
- Final Verdict
Why You Need Good Screwdrivers
The screwdriver has one purpose, and that is to loosen and tighten screws. It’s crucial to understand not only what a screwdriver is for but how to use it and care for it, or it won’t be able to carry out its function.
- Fix screwdrivers that have a bent or broken tip. To combat this, you could get a hardened screwdriver set, yet you may find them useless for basic tasks such as furniture assembly if these chips. Square blades through grinding can give you a new edge, yet this is where you could lose the hardened steel edge.
- Replace a broken handle with a new one. It is a challenge to grasp a broken handle. However, if you have a plastic handle, it could be impossible to change, and it is one reason high-quality tools are a better selection for your tool belt.
- Keep dirt and grease off your screwdrivers to stop corrosion or further damage.
- Pick the right screwdriver size for the screw, and ensure the blade thickness fits in the slot. With precision screwdrivers and flathead screwdrivers, it minimizes damage to the screw and your blade. It can also reduce the force when putting pressure on the blade to keep it flat head screws.
- Although you can get a ratcheting screwdriver, never use pliers on a manual screwdriver to offer more torque. Cheap screwdrivers often come with round shafts and are suitable for DIY projects, but a tool snob screwdriver set will have an entire shaft made to be used with a wrench or similar tools.
- I never think nice screwdrivers can be used as a pry, punch, or lever. Ensure you never hot the handle with a hammer no matter what the brands of screwdrivers.
- Only ever use insulated screwdrivers for electrical work. An insulated screwdriver is made to stop any electricity.
- Use Phillips screwdrivers if the screw has a Phillips’s head. Using a larger Phillips screwdriver and holding it at an angle is better than a smaller conventional screwdriver. (Find the Best Ratcheting Wrenches)
Top Screwdrivers Reviews
1. DEWALT Screwdriver Bit Set with Tough Case, 45-Piece
Bit sets are popular among professionals and casual DIYers because of their versatility DEWALT’s 45-piece set is no exception. The set includes all the most often used screwdriver accessories for use with your corded or cordless power drill with a 3/8-inch chuck.
Philips, square, slotted, and double-ended bits are included. Being among the best multi-bit screwdriver kits you can find, it is a must as it offers everything you can ever need.
With DEWALT’s magnetic drive guide technology, all the tips are simple to secure in your drill’s chuck, no matter what they make. All 45 pieces are made from high-speed steel to work with a ratchet mechanism and come in an industrial-strength carrying case.
- Extremely comprehensive multi-bit screwdriver set
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Strong and durable
- Sturdy storage case
- Not very useful without a drill
- More Phillips head screwdriver bits than slotted drivers
This is the top of professional screwdriver sets for investment that will last for years and has an affordable guide price of around $20 or just under. You get double-sided bits and an optimized fastener fitment for Philips. If you have a suitable drill or ratchet screwdriver, this is the best ratcheting screwdriver kit you can find and the best screwdriver set for the money.
2. XOOL 80 in 1 Precision Screwdriver Set with Magnetic Driver Kit Professional Electronics Repair Tool Kit
The XOOL 80-in-1 Precision Screwdriver Set contains the perfect tool for small screws, whether you’re working on electronic gadgets such as cell phones, computers, games consoles down to watches, fixing eyeglasses, and working with jewelry. Here you have the top tool screwdriver if you need to fix this type of thing.
The Xool 80 best multi screwdriver kit for electrics offers 56 bits made from high-quality steel and can handle a wide range of screw shapes and sizes, including Phillips, Torx, flat head, hex, square, triangle, and others.
The tool roll lets you take the screwdriver bits and handle while leaving the rest at home. The magnetic tip of the screwdriver is useful for pulling screws from the depths of a gadget or to align them with a hole. You can even adjust the flexible extension rod when needed.
- Great tool with a cushioned grip for fixing electrical devices
- Comprehensive precision set
- Made from S2 anti-static steel
- Magnetic tips
- Not suited for DIY
- Shafts can twist on some tools under pressure
A guide price of just below $22 means the utility knife, three precision tweezers, a 6-inch ruler, and various other useful tools make the XOOL 80 in 1 precision set one of the best multi-bit screwdriver kits for this kind of work. Out of all, it is the best screwdriver set with the case when you need to fix gadgets.
3. CRAFTSMAN Screwdriver Set, Assorted, 12-Piece
With 12 durable screwdrivers in an array of sizes, the Craftsman screwdrivers set has you covered for repairs, installations, and more.
It is one of the highest-rated flat head screwdriver sets you can find with many customers. It lacks several Phillips head screwdriver options, but you could move up a kit and get seven Phillips screwdrivers.
In the pack, you get slotted screwdrivers, Phillips screwdrivers, but unfortunately, there is no tool case, so that they will bang around your toolbox.
Each screwdriver in the Craftsman set features butyrate grips and heat-treated blades for maximum strength and offers lots of quality and affordability.
- Comprehensive set
- Made from heat-treated steel and satin nickel finish
- Full Lifetime Warranty
- Comes with a magnetizer, demagnetizer & stubby compact screwdriver
- No carrying case
- No square shaft on Phillips screwdrivers
With a guide price of just under $17, they offer lots of value, yet you need to remember it is a traditional screwdriver set and doesn’t have bits to be used with a ratcheting screwdriver. You will find it slips away from the best screwdriver kit as the shat on the Phillips are round, and you can’t get extra purchases when you need it.
4. GEARWRENCH 20 Pc. Phillips/Slotted/Torx Screwdriver Set, Dual Material Handles
The GearWrench shafts are alloy steel for added strength and longevity and have ergonomic handles offering three lobes for comfort and balance. The heads have magnetic tips for full control. The GearWrench 20-Piece Master Screwdriver Set is one of the best screwdriver kits on the market.
This set includes nine Phillips screwdrivers ranking #00 to #3, nine slotted screwdrivers from 1.5 mm to 3/8”, and two Torx screwdrivers.
These screwdrivers have laser-etched sizes along the shaft for easy identification and a Speed Zone handle for fast spinning. All the drivers meet or exceed ASME standards for performance and quality. (Read What Is An Allen Wrench)
- Alloy Steel Shafts
- Ergonomic handle
- Good selection of slot, Phillips, and Torx head screwdrivers
- Part number and size etched on the blade
- Shaft print can rub off
Although the price is more than others with a guide of just over $70, you get a very reliable set and could be the best screwdriver set for mechanics who need a set of common sizes. It is a heavy-duty screwdriver set, and you get what you pay for with a lifetime guarantee but no carry bag.
5. VESSEL BALL GRIP 1/4″ Hex. Bit Interchangeable Screwdriver
When you want precise control right at the tip of your fingers, you can’t get better than the best screwdrivers for the money. The Vessel Ball only has three blades, yet these are double-ended. The ball grip ensures you have perfect control over the driver and is anti-fatigue in use.
It is easy to appreciate the replaceable 3-inch blades as you can use others with this handle or vice versa. It is a nice screwdriver set when you don’t need the best cheap screwdriver set. You get an interchangeable driver grip with 3 double-ended bits +1, +2, +3, -6, PZ2, PZ3, and poszdrive for European electronic devices.
- Very handy and reliable
- Good selection of bit tips
- Three-inch blade length
- No case
- No Torx bits
With a guide price under $14, you get a decent set and a variation of screw head options. It does only have 1 slotted screwdriver head, so this could be too thin for larger screws. It is a decent performing multi-bit kit and won’t take up much space.
Best Screwdrivers Buying guide
Don’t just grab the first screwdriver set. You see whether you require Torx screwdrivers, Phillips screwdrivers, or the most popular type of screwdriver, the slotted screwdriver.
The best screwdrivers for the task are those that are suitable. Screwdriver tips are as important as they take full force when driving in screws.
Some screwdrivers have a magnetic tip, and others have a coating on the tip to aid grip and torque. Here are a few things to know before you search for your manual or best ratcheting screwdriver option.
Screwdriver Head Type
Various screwdriver heads correlate to various screw types. That is why screwdriver sets are so useful. You won’t be caught off guard if you start a project to discover you don’t have the correct screwdriver. The following is a list of the most popular screwdriver head types:
- Flat (also known as slotted) screws have flattened tips that fit into a straight screw slot.
- The cross pattern tip of Phillips screws fits into a cross-shaped recess on the screw.
- To fit into a square-shaped recess, Robertson has a square drive tip.
- For screws with a recess of the same shape, Torx has a star or six-pointed tip.
The screw is drawn to the screwdriver by a magnetic force created by the magnetic tips. More of the screwdriver head’s surface area firmly adheres to the screw recess thanks to the increased force.
To help drive screws with more force and accuracy, black oxide, black phosphate, and diamond-coated tips improve friction between the screwdriver tip and the screw recess.
Handle Grip Design
A screwdriver can be transformed from a high-production tool to a high-accuracy tool with a little change in handle shape or size. You can drive a screw with an additional force with a wide-handle grip design. Rubber-coated screwdriver handles provide a more secure and pleasant grip during extensive projects.
Finally, some screwdrivers have molded handles that are made of a combination of hard plastic and rubber. The accuracy of a hard-handled screwdriver is combined with a comfortable grip on a rubber handle. (Read Star Bits Sizes Chart)
Kit Size and Storage
Sizes of a screwdriver set range from five or six to over 100 pieces. You need somewhere to keep them when you have this number, especially if you have bits rather than traditionally styled screwdrivers.
What was thought of as a hard decision quickly ended up a no-brainer? The DEWALT Screwdriver Bit Set with Tough Case, 45-Piece, may need a screwdriver attachment, yet you get the best mix of durable tips you could wish for. You have endless nut driver sizes to choose from and the case that you will never lose.
The DeWalt offers the best screwdrivers for the money and will help complete any tasks at home or on your vehicles with ease.