If you spot big flies in the house, they can be a couple of different types. You can have your regular house flies, or you can have cluster flies. While they may appear the same at first glance, they can venture through windows into your home for different reasons.
Either way, they don’t give the feeling your home is clean, and you will want to get rid of them as quickly as you can.
In this quick guide, you can learn how to deal with large black files in house. You can find some quick and easy ways to carry out natural pest control so you could get rid of them out of your windows as quickly as possible. (Read 5 Plants That Keep Flies And Mosquitoes Away)
Why Do I Have Big Fat Black Flies in My House?
It may be hard to distinguish which type the giant fly in your house is as the two most common of house flies and cluster flies have a similar appearance.
House flies differ as they will venture inside if they find anything that has died. The female will lay eggs in dead animals, garbage, food, and animal feces.
On the other hand, Cluster flies lay their eggs inside earthworm burrows they find in your lawn. If they are indoors, they are most likely seeking a warm place.
Where are These Huge Flies Coming From?
Once you try to find where these large black flies in house are coming from, it helps to understand their life. Here you can learn a bit more about the fly’s habits and traits. Where you find one cluster fly, you will discover and other cluster fly and more.
- Adult cluster flies focus on finding water, food, and reproducing with suitable material for laying eggs. If they locate a good area, flies nest there until it is no longer appropriate.
- Female flies can lay up to 500 eggs in her lifetime, and their complete cycle from larvae to maturity is 8 to 12 days.
- Cluster flies emerge once temperatures are above 70° Fahrenheit. This is because, at these temps, there is a sudden breakdown and decomposition of organic matter. This is why you often find them around the attic where it is warm.
- As a result, there can be copious amounts of food opportunities for big house flies. Temps under 60° Fahrenheit reduce cluster fly activity.
Large flies or house flies can often be called filth flies as they feed and breed in such conditions. They will also travel up to a mile in the search for dead food and a breeding area.
- Houseflies carry more than 200 pathogens and almost two million bacteria on their bodies.
- A house fly often excretes and regurgitates on any surface they land. As a result, they can pass on almost sixty-five diseases, including salmonella, typhoid, dysentery, cholera, and many others.
How Do I Get Rid of Big Black Flies in My House?
Here are a few ways how you can tackle the infestations of cluster flies around your home. First, you need to find out if there is anything dead around your house. (Read 5 Best Plants That Repel Flies)
- Depending on the decay stage, you may not smell anything, but a dead animal will soon smell once a large fly begins laying eggs on it.
- Check every window and door for gaps. However, even if every window is sealed shut, these flies will still find a way in. Here are a few ways you can help deter these flies and keep them away from your home.
- Basil: Grow basil and keep plants close to an open window or in your kitchen. Flies don’t like the smell of this herb.
Mint and Lavender: You can plant these around your home openings as they have another smell fly’s don’t like.
- Cinnamon: This aroma flies don’t like, and you can use it as an air freshener. Place one in your attic to keep it free of flies.
- Essential oils: You can choose from lemongrass, citronella, peppermint, lavender, and eucalyptus as flies hate all these smells. Place these around windows, and your home will smell nice, but not to a cluster fly.
Aside from this, you could make a fly trap using apple cider vinegar and some liquid dish soap. Cluster flies love the smell of the vinegar, yet the surface tension of the soap catches them, and they can’t fly off. (Read How to Make a Fruit Fly Trap)
Besides this, make sure all your kitchen is wiped down, and your trashcan is closed. Lastly, be sure to keep any food in the refrigerator and out of the range of smell of any pesky flies.
Read more: Best Gardening Boots For Women