Microwaves are one of the greatest kitchen appliances to use; however, it is far too easy to burn something when using them if you get the times wrong.
Nobody wants burning food in the microwave, let alone the lingering odor it leaves in your microwave and your kitchen.
If you don’t deodorize, your microwave smells burnt, and the smell persists for ages, and foods you cook later can be less appealing.
Luckily, there is no need to panic about how to get a burnt smell out of a microwave.
In our guide, you can learn more about eliminating odors and unpleasant odors using things you have around the home.
By the end, you’ll know all there is using any of the methods to keep your microwave clean and in tip-top shape. So, no matter if you have burnt popcorn smells, you can get rid of these bad odors without too much effort. (Learn How To Get Bleach Smell Out Of Clothes)
How Do You Neutralize Burnt Smell?
If you notice a foul odor from your microwave, open it and inspect it. Before you get rid of any burnt smells, you need to see where they are coming from. It is easy to have crusty splattered sauces or food on the walls, plate, or rotating tray.
Wipe up any spills and keep your microwave door open to help remove odors.
Microwave odors range from burnt microwave popcorn to fish, so you must use a DIY odorizer to match the smell. Not all methods work on all smells, as they are created differently.
Your first step is to wear protective gloves and clean microwave ovens with hot, soapy water. Disconnect from the mains first as water and electricity don’t mix.
Here you can see two effective kitchen cupboard deodorizer methods that could help if the smell isn’t too strong.
White vinegar works well as an odor neutralizer when combined with absorbent bread. Boil 2 cups of vinegar in a gallon of water, and after 15 minutes, dip a few white slices of bread slices in your mixture.
Leave at the source of the smell inside your microwave to absorb and neutralize odors.
Second, you can use baking soda as a natural deodorizer. Set a shallow bowl or a few in your microwave and throughout your kitchen with a few tablespoons of baking soda to absorb and neutralize the burnt smell in microwave and lingering smells in your home.
Can You Get The Smell of Smoke Out Of a Microwave?
Here are some of the best ways you can get rid of a microwave smell. It doesn’t matter if it is a burnt odor, or you just want your microwave odor-free after cooking something smelly.
For a quick clean and deodorize using vinegar, follow these steps:
- Put a spoonful of vinegar and half a cup of water inside a microwave-safe bowl
- Turn the microwave on high for 2 minutes
- Leave the door shut for 15 minutes
- Open and remove your vinegar and water solution
- Wipe the inside of the microwave using an all-purpose dishcloth
The vinegar, water concoction should generate steam to loosen food residue while also deodorizing the inside of the microwave.
White vinegar works to neutralize the smell of burning food. Although apple cider vinegar will work, but is more expensive and could need more vinegar to water.
An advantage of this formula is you can use the vinegar-water mix to clean glass windows or wipe down mirrors of the front of your kitchen appliances with a soft cloth to remove smears and marks.
Lemon Juice Method
This is an additional and optional method to use after using baking soda or the vinegar method.
- Put a few drops of lemon juice onto a sponge or dishcloth
- Wipe around the inside of your microwave or spray inside using a spray bottle
- Add more lemon juice as needed
- Wash your sponge or dishcloth
- Wipe the inside with a damp dishcloth
You can use a steaming method with lemon for additional effect and better cleanup of lingering odors. Instead of lemons, a few drops of lemon essential oil can be used in place of lemon juice.
- Glass measuring cup or bowl
- 1/2 cup of water
- Fill the dish or measuring cup half full with water.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the water.
- Stir in the lemon halves and set them in the container.
- Microwave for 90 to 120 seconds to heat the cleaner.
- Heat for as long as it takes to create steam.
Allow at least five minutes for the steam in the microwave to loosen particles. After removing everything from the microwave, wipe the inside with a damp towel.
How Do I Get The Burnt Smell Out Of My Microwave With Baking Soda?
To get rid of chemical smells, the power of baking soda has been known for decades. Here, you can see how baking soda inside your microwave oven can leave it odor-free from that burnt popcorn smell. (Learn How To Clean Garbage Disposal With Baking Soda And Vinegar)
Baking Soda Method
Here is the most effective way to get rid of smells using nothing more than a box of baking soda and an open container.
- Fill your bowl halfway with baking soda.
- Add two or three tablespoons of water into your microwave-safe container
- Mix to a paste
- Smear the past inside the microwave, and let it sit overnight with the door closed. You can leave baking soda sitting in a bowl to help absorb stubborn smells.
- Carefully remove all traces of the baking soda with a damp cloth.
After cleaning down your microwave with a damp cloth, use a non-scratch scouring pad to clean inside.
Baking Soda Odor Remover
Mix five teaspoons baking soda with about a 1/2 cup of water in a small microwave-safe bowl.
Heat on high for six minutes to get rid of that burnt food odor.
Allow it up to one hour to sit in the microwave.
Wipe the inside of the microwave with dish soap and water.
Remove remaining burnt food smell and stains using a cloth dipped in the baking soda and water cleaning solution.
How Do You Clean A Burnt Microwave?
Here are a few alternative ways you can remove odors from inside the microwave.
Nail Polish Remover
Use a sponge soaked in nail polish remover to remove the burnt detritus that refuses to come off.
When using nail polish remover, wipe the surfaces down with food-safe soap and water afterward.
If the other steps listed here can’t remove stubborn stains, you can use this method to remove burned-on gunk.
- Soak cotton balls with acetone-free nail polish remover
- Wipe down the inside of the microwave.
- Wipe down the inside with soap, then vinegar water, to remove the polish remover.
It is recommended to do the last step as you need to get rid of the acetone chemical smells.
Stop Stinky Smells with Lemon
- Cut a lemon into thick slices and microwave for 3 minutes to get rid of unwanted odors in your microwave oven.
- Alternatively, microwave a bowl of water with lemon slices immersed. A microwave-safe mixture of water and lemon juice can also be used. Set it inside with the door closed overnight.
- If you don’t like the fragrance of lemons, try any other citrus fruit such as oranges or grapefruits instead.
Vanilla Extract Deodorizer
If you don’t want to face the smells of citrus or vinegar or even the nail polish remover, you can settle for a more pleasing smell of vanilla extract.
Add 2 to 3 drops of your vanilla extract into a bowl of water and microwave on medium for a few seconds.
Leave it inside the microwave with the door shut for a while before opening and wiping down the inside using a paper towel.
Use Coffee Grounds as a Microwave Deodorizer
Everybody knows coffee is excellent for drinking; they don’t realize how useful it can be in other areas of their lives. Coffee grounds are one of the best-kept secrets when it comes to cleaning your house. (Learn How To Clean Leather Bag)
Deodorize using coffee grounds
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tbsp coffee grounds
- Microwave safe bowl
- Add water and coffee grounds to a small microwave-safe dish—microwave on high for 10 minutes or until you see steam.
- Check the bowl every two minutes and top it off with extra water if needed.
- The coffee aroma neutralizes bad odors in your microwave.
- Repeat with fresh coffee grounds as needed, or you can leave it in the microwave overnight with the microwave door shut to help get rid of any burnt smells.
Activated charcoal can be used in place of your coffee, yet it won’t offer the pleasing smell you get from hot coffee.
While cleaning and deodorizing the inside of your microwave, you can get a few drops of dish soap added to water in a spray bottle and wipe down the exterior.
Just be sure you clean when the power is off and not as you steam your microwave.