The Gorilla Glue Company is well known for its range of tapes and adhesives. Two of the most common are a black patch and seal tape and a crystal clear Gorilla tape version when you don’t want repairs to be seen.
To get past all the hype, many individuals often ask about how waterproof is Gorilla tape? In our guide, you can learn more about these tapes and where they may be suitable around your home or when doing any activities when you need a quick repair.
Before diving in, it is worth noting that there are two areas this tape isn’t suitable. Gorilla Tape isn’t recommended for any direct or possible indirect food contact; thus, it isn’t classed as or shouldn’t be considered food safe.
Besides this, and as tough as Gorilla tape is, Gorilla Tape shouldn’t be used in place of electrical tape.
By the end of this guide, you will find all you need to know about the Gorilla waterproof patch and the crystal-clear Gorilla tape to see if it meets your needs. (Learn How to Remove Gorilla Glue from Skin)
Is Regular Gorilla Tape Waterproof?
It doesn’t matter if you are into water sports, or you have a job to do around the home; tape can often be the best solution when you need a fix quickly. However, it isn’t easy to find a tape to use in watersports or when boating.
They need to be water-resistant, stick to wet surfaces, and withstand
the worst situations. You’ll find many tape brands claiming to be the best for the job, and one nominee is Gorilla Tape. Before delving in to see if the standard is waterproof, it’s good to know what your alternatives are.
Here you can see a comparison against flex tape, duct tape, and Gorilla tape and their best uses. Crystal clear Gorilla tape is much the same as the regular tape but comes with no color.
What Is Duct Tape?
Duct tape is a strong tape designed originally to seal closed ammunition containers for the military. However, now it is found in nearly all homes.
Duct tape comes as the more familiar silver, or you can find it in black. It is easy to peel from the roll without using scissors and offers a water-resistant top layer. (Learn How to Remove Tape Residue from Wood)
What Is Flex Tape?
Flex tape comprises rubberized tape with a flexible adhesive to stick to several shapes or surfaces. It claims to be waterproof and stick to damp surfaces and maintaining a secure grip underwater.
What Is Gorilla Tape?
Gorilla tape is like duct tape and comes with a strengthened water-resistant backing and also a double-strength adhesive. The tough tape is made for extreme weather conditions and grips smooth, rough, and uneven surfaces like wood, stone, vinyl, and brick that other tapes can’t do to fix holes.
Gorilla tape can be torn rather than using scissors, withstand extreme temperatures, and is UV resistant. Gorilla tape is made to keep air and water out, although it is recommended not to be used on some plastics or certain other materials. It can also take around 24-hours to offer the strongest bond.
All three are water-resistant, yet if your repair will face any conditions underwater, such as a repair on a kayak, then waterproof
Gorilla tape or the crystal-clear Gorilla tape will perform better than regular duct tape underwater.
Gorilla tape can act as a keel guard on kayaks as it stays in position thanks to the thick adhesive that is super strong. Even if you are repairing, the Gorilla glue on the Gorilla tape can stop water from seeping into your vessel. (Learn How to Remove Tape Residue from Plastic)
Does Gorilla Tape Stop Water Leaks?
Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Tape will instantly seal against water, air, and moisture. It comes with an extra thick adhesive layer with an effective UV-resistant backing.
The tape will form a permanent bond both indoors and out, so you can use it to patch holes or gaps thanks to the 4-inches wide tape. It is a great addition to anyone who goes camping, RVing or kayaking, and canoeing,
Here are the steps you would follow to get the best from your Gorilla waterproof patch. You would also use these steps to repair with the Crystal-clear Gorilla tape, albeit in a dry place.
To get the best results, apply the tape onto a clean surface at the recommended temperature range, such as room temperature (Gorilla tape won’t adhere at cold temperatures). If you have an underwater repair, rub the area clean using a cloth or sponge to remove any algae or debris. (Learn How To Get Nail Glue Off)
- Keep the liner on tape.
- Cut tape to your desired size. The tape size needs to be larger than the repair area and extend beyond all edges. If you overlap the tape, it can lead to leaks.
- Round the corners of your patch as this presents less chance of the tape lifting on the corners. If possible, it is advisable to apply tape to both sides of your repair.
- Carefully remove the release liner, and then place tape over your desired repair area. (You can’t reposition the Gorilla waterproof patch or the Gorilla clear repair tape once it’s been applied).
- Rub the entire surface of the tape aggressively, especially the edges.
- Smooth the Gorilla waterproof patch from the center to outer edges.
- Hold the Gorilla waterproof patch in place for 2 minutes, so you get good adhesion. If you can, it is recommended to weigh down the repair area for 24 hours.
Once you use the tape, always store it with the top and bottom in position to stop the Gorilla glue from drying out on the edges. Always try to store the tape at room temperature.
Not so much for the waterproof patch and seal tape, but for other tapes in the range, you can find performance is based on the surfaces you are using the crystal-clear Gorilla tape on.
Surfaces need to be clean and smooth as well as non-porous. You also must ensure you press any water or moisture from underneath tape. (Learn What is Polyethylene Vinyl Acetate)
In addition, its crystal-clear Gorilla tape isn’t suitable for applications under pressure such as your garden hose or under the hood of your vehicle.
What Is The Best Waterproof Tape?
When searching for waterproof tape products, you should know the differences. While the Gorilla Glue waterproof patch is seen as the best seal tape, the crystal-clear Gorilla tape could be a better solution sometimes.
Much of it depends on what you need the tape for and a temporary or permanent fix. Here are things to be aware of when searching for the best waterproof tape.
- Waterproof reflective tape is commonly used to identify mailboxes, driveways, and garbage cans.
- Moisture-resistant drywall tape is a fantastic choice for bathrooms, kitchens, and other areas where moisture and humidity are high.
- Gaffer tape is like duct tape, but it is more heat resistant and easier to remove without leaving a sticky residue. The rough waterproof backing of nonslip waterproof tape helps avoid slippage and is an excellent choice for potentially slick surfaces such as a boat’s floor.
- Duct tape is similarly made of cloth, but the cloth is coated with a polyethylene resin that makes the seal tape waterproof and can stick to rough surfaces (based on brands such as Gorilla Glue products).
Waterproof tape is created from various materials to deal with the toughest jobs while used in wet conditions and rough surfaces. Materials such as cloth, plastic, and rubber are used, and each affects the tape’s ability to seal gaps on areas such as an RV roof or the hull of a kayak. It also affects the adhesive strength and method of application.
A waterproof tape can last up to 5 years before the adhesive begins to break down. Look for a waterproof tape that meets the project’s adhesive strength requirements. Applying nonslip tape to a heavily used area or under pressure will require more adhesive strength and resistance than temporarily securing wires with gaffer tape to a piece of metal. (Read About Mesh Drywall Tape)
How to Use Gorilla Tape
Use as you would any other tape. You can tear Gorilla tape by hand or cut it using a knife or scissors.
Apply the tape carefully and smooth out air pockets or wrinkles.
For best results, apply the tape to a clean surface at room temperature or use a hairdryer to warm the area and help set the glue.
- Cut tape to the desired size.
- Your tape size needs to be larger than the repair area and extending beyond all the edges. Don’t overlap, or you can lose your water repellency.
- Remove the release liner and place tape on the desired repair area.
- Rub entire surface tape aggressively, especially the edges.
Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal is best when stored at room temperature and out of direct sunlight and keeping the top and bottom discs that come with the original packaging attached. Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane-based glue, and the adhesive used on Gorilla Tape is specially formulated for tape.
Gorilla Tape work effectively on plastic, vinyl, rubber, and grips smooth plastics, including polyethylene (PE) and polypropylene (PP).