A push mower is one in which the user walks behind the mower, pushing it from one place to the other. There are many types of push mowers.
- Gas powered
- Electric powered (corded or cordless)
- Manually operated: These have no engines at all and rely solely on manpower to run it
- These can also be motorized, powered either by gas or electricity.
This is different from the variety in which the user rides the mower and drives it from one place to another, known as the ride-on mower. Tractor mowers are also different than push lawnmowers, as they are built like a small tractor and tend to have more functions than normal push mowers.
They are however, more expensive. Then there are the robotic mowers, but they are the next generation altogether.
One of the best manual lawn mower is the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower for high accuracy of its height adjustment.
How do push mowers work?
Push mowers are also different from the self propelled variety. Even if there is a motor, it only spins the cutter blades while the person has to push it along. But with self propelled, the motor also pushes the mower forward, so the only energy required from the person behind the mower is to guide it in a certain direction.
Most manual push mower reviews cite great satisfaction in the quieter system of these mowers, for example, the Brill Razorcut 33, is one of the finest manual push lawn mowers in terms of being lightweight and quiet.
Top Rated Push Mowers Available in 2019?
If you are looking for the top push mowers, look no further. I will make a list of a few which seem to be quite in demand by users thee days :-
- Wolf-Garten hand push cylinder mower: It is very light and cuts well. It has a slightly smaller width, so is therefore better for smaller lawns.
- WEBB WEH12R: It is very quiet and cuts well, but is on the heavier side, so might be difficult to use.
- Honda HRX2172VKA: It gives a very smooth cut because of its dual blades, and remains clean during operation, for a price of $700.
- Poulan Pro PR500N21SH: It starts very easily, but it is not solidly built as reviews reported that one its wheel brackets might break. But it costs only $300.
- Toro 20332: Easy option of going from mulching to bagging, plus you can control the speed of the mower simply by pushing a bit harder on the handle. It costs $389.
- Snapper SPVH21675: Priced at $449, you get a maximum speed of 4mph for a quick mowing session.
- Craftsman EZ 37044: It has easy height adjustment and provides a good cut for $350.
- Husqvarna 5521p: It works best when you use the bagging option, but is slightly on the heavy side. It costs $450.
- Husqvarna AWD: It is good for rugged terrains and even hilly areas, whilst maintaining a high quality of cut. It costs $500.
- Troy-Bilt TB350XP: This one works fast, even on hills, a for only $370 it is good value.
These were some of the best rated push lawn mowers, based on weight, noise, cutting, or the options of bagging and mulching etc. If you are looking for electric lawn mowers take a look at my rundown here.
Best Push Mower for the Money
Now it is time to announce a winner. Naturally, when one buys a mower they look for one which has the most optimum features for the least amount of money. So one of the ideal cheap push mower has got to be the Great States 815-18 18-Inch Deluxe Push Reel Lawn Mower, costing around $100.
It has one of the best reviews from users, with various benefits such as having minimal noise, an easily manageable weight of only 27 pounds, providing heat treated blades, and a wider cutting width (18 inches).
It is also not so light that it just bounces around on the lawn. The height variation options range from 0.5 to 2.75 inches, with very comfortable cushion grips on the handle.
It cuts very well, and users have also cited longevity as a reason for why it’s the finest choice for your money. It can be easily maneuvered, even around tight edges. It really is the best mower if you are in for some ‘push power’ exercise.
The Pros and Cons
As I’ve already mentioned, lack of noise and being lightweight are the greatest benefits of push mowers. Other than that, manual lawn mower reviews suggest that it alleviates the cost of buying gas, or the maintenance of the engine, plus there is no exhaust blowing in your face.
Also, push lawn mowers reviews suggest that the top reason they chose this type is because it’s environmentally friendly. It is safer, in that any pieces of rock lying around will not become projectiles endangering you or people around you.
However, the downside is that they are not ideal for big lawns. A lawn sized about 0.5 to 0.75 acres seems ideal, because otherwise you’ll have a lot of work to do. Furthermore, very tough or overgrown types of grass may cause damage to these manual mowers.
Having said all of this, there is really no best lawn mower. If your lawn is bigger, you will go for gas or electricity powered mowers. Different brands excel in different features: durability, width, cleanliness of cut, bagging options, height adjustments etc. These are some of the things you ought to consider when buying your mower.
If you go for the very cheap ones, they might have flimsy parts and you may end up paying the mechanic to fix it anyway, so one shouldn’t compromise too much on the price.
But if you are environment savvy then manual mowers are really the greatest options and a must have tool for the tool shed. You might have to cut slightly longer, and more often, but it is a worthwhile experience taking care of the greenery around you, whilst aiming for a greener earth as well.