Home security packages are an indispensable part of modern life as more people seek to protect their families and properties from intruders and crime. This demand has led to massive growth in the home security industry over the past few decades. Today, ADT stands as one of the most prominent and trusted brands in installing alarm systems and providing monitoring services for homes.
ADT is a household name, and several years ago, ADT acquired the Canadian company Reliance Protectron Security Services. So, what exactly does ADT stand for, and what is the history of ADT? Over 140 years, ADT transformed from a telegraph messaging provider, then affiliated and became among the leading home security companies in North America since there was an increase in telephone usage.
In our guide, you can learn more about ADT security solutions and another couple of meanings you’ll find when searching. By the end, you’ll better understand the more common meaning of ADT that people know. (Read Small Walk In Pantry Ideas)
What Does ADT Stand As A Home Security Company?
ADT’s security origins date back to 1874, decades before ADT’s home security began. The three letters originally stood for American District Telegraph, named after the company’s early telegraph-based communication services, much like AT&T is an abbreviation.
Here, the originator connected multiple homes to one telegraph call box, and so was the birth of the first alarm service. ADT is a home security brand and the company that provides one of the biggest home security services across the United States. They provide monitoring services for burglary, fire, carbon monoxide, and other threats.
ADT security systems can be monitored, or you can arm and disarm right from the ADT app.
ADT Stands for American District Telegraph
ADT Corporation stands for American District Telegraph, which was the original name of the company when it was formed in 1874. Their focus at the time was providing telegraph-based alert and messaging services to businesses in major cities across America.
Some key facts about ADT’s early history:
- It started as one of 57 District Telegraph Delivery companies that eventually merged as telephone services grew.
- These telegraph companies provided emergency alert systems, security monitoring, and messaging services.
- DT was incorporated into Western Union in 1901 as telephone usage increased.
- In the 1910s and 20s, ADT began offering burglary and fire alarm monitoring. This was the start of their transition into home and business security services.
In 1874, 57 district telegraph delivery companies affiliated and became American District Telegraph (ADT). Later, Tyco was busy acquiring Broadview Security, formerly Brink’s Home Security, and merging the company with its ADT division. With this change, ADT was incorporating signaling into its business.
ADT began to expand; in addition, ADT incorporated into Western Union and ADT incorporated into two lines of business, the messenger and signaling businesses. American District Telegraph has an office in Boca Raton to offer fire protection, a long way from when it was established and called the Gold and Stock Telegraph Company.
With success, ADT became a publicly traded company in the 1960s. Such was the success; ADT was found to be a monopoly as they provided around 80% of the central station alarm monitoring for the entire USA.
Much later, Tyco announced it would split into three companies, ADT being one of the three and still a trusted name in security equipment and related alarm monitoring services. Since then, they have become one of the best home security companies. (Learn How To Turn Off Smoke Alarm)
Expansion Into Home Security Systems
ADT has been providing DIY home security services for over 100 years now. Some key areas ADT provides services in fire and security monitoring are:
- They began electronic security protection services for banks and wealthy homeowners in the early 1900s. This included alarm systems and call box monitoring.
- ADT focused on services like emergency medical alert systems, smart home devices, and monitoring of home fire alarms.
- In the 1960s and 70s, ADT shifted focus to home security systems as demand from middle-class homeowners increased. Electronic sensors on doors and windows became popular.
- Over the last 20+ years, ADT has made advanced features like home automation; ADT also provides security, video monitoring, mobile access, and smart home integration.
So, ADT started as a telegraph messaging service but gradually transitioned into home security systems over many decades. ADT offers three packages to more than 6 million customers of residences and businesses across North America.
The firm of Hawley Goodall wanted to get into American security and bought Crime Control Inc. before buying ADT alarm companies.
What Does ADT Offer Today?
Now that we’ve covered ADT’s origins, let’s discuss what type of security and automation services this trusted name in home security offers customers:
- Burglary Monitoring: ADT’s flagship service is alarm systems to detect break-ins and alert police. This includes window or door sensors, motion detectors, control panels, sirens, and more.
- Fire and Carbon Monoxide Monitoring: ADT systems can also incorporate smoke and CO detectors to alert emergency services of these dangers. Fire monitoring can be found in nine monitoring centers around the country.
- Home Automation: Many ADT packages include smart home features like remotely controlling doors, lights, thermostats, and appliances from your smartphone.
- Video Monitoring: Indoor and outdoor security cameras that stream footage you can access on your phone and record video clips when activity is detected.
- Medical Alert Systems: Pendants and wristband monitors can trigger customers to call for medical help during emergencies or injuries. (Read Turn Off Adt System)
Why Is ADT Considered an Industry Leader?
ADT has been able to remain an industry leader in home security for many reasons:
- Long track record: Their 140+ years of experience gives customers confidence in the brand. ADT’s longevity tells you they are doing something right.
- National presence: With over 200 sales and service locations across North America, ADT has wider availability than local security companies.
- Customizable packages: ADT offers several service tiers so customers can choose the right level of security and automation for their needs and budget.
- Advanced technology: ADT keeps pace with innovations in home security, from control apps to video doorbells and smart home integration. This appeals to modern connected homeowners.
- Professional installation: For DIY-averse customers, ADT handles the installation process quickly and expertly so systems work seamlessly.
- 24/7 monitoring: ADT has six proprietary monitoring centers nationwide to provide live agent support anytime.
Is ADT the Right Choice for Your Home Security?
Now that you know about ADT’s history and services, is ADT the right fit to secure your home? Here are some key questions to ask yourself:
- Do you want 24/7 professional monitoring instead of self-monitoring your home? ADT’s live agents can dispatch emergency responders faster.
- Are you willing to sign a long-term monitoring contract? ADT typically requires 3+ year agreements, while some competitors don’t.
- Do you want the assurance of a major national brand name over lesser-known local companies? ADT is one of the most recognized security brands.
- Does mobile access or home automation integration appeal to you? ADT offers advanced smart home features and apps.
For many homeowners, the answer is yes, and ADT is a great fit for their security needs. The only way to decide for sure is to compare ADT side-by-side with other top security system providers. (Learn How To Turn Off Fire Alarm)
Alternative Meanings Of ADT
Even though the company known as ADT is well known across the web, there are other places you can find the definition of ADT. To avoid confusion, here are a few examples.
- Androgen deprivation therapy induces vitamin K loss in men who suffer from prostate cancer
- ADT stand for in traffic analysis “Average Daily Traffic” (ADT).
- ADT stand for in Computer Science “Abstract Data types”
Now, you can give a name to ADT and a face. Through steady innovation over 140+ years, ADT can help with nearly any security.
Their staying power proves ADT understands the needs of every ADT customer wanting reliable monitoring and protection. While ADT home security isn’t the cheapest option, their customized systems, advanced technology, professional installation, and live support provide true peace of mind.
So, is ADT right for your home?
FAQ About What ADT Stands For
Is ADT an abbreviation or an acronym?
ADT is an abbreviation and not a true acronym since it’s not pronounced as a word (“adt”) but spelled out letter by letter.
What type of company is ADT?
ADT is an American company specializing in home and business security systems, fire/CO monitoring, home automation, and related alarm system services.
Where is ADT located?
ADT headquarters is in Boca Raton, Florida, with over 200 monitoring/service locations throughout the United States and Canada.